Pages

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Goro

A couple of months ago I stumbled upon an antique iron called a Goro, which somehow found its way into the pile of valuables my grandma gave me when she passed away. I wasn't quite sure what this little piece of treasure was used for, but I did knew that it made waffle cookies of some sort. After many days of searching, I found a Goro recipe. Over spring break I decided that it was time to put this recipe to the test.


Here goes nothing! When I first looked at the recipe it made sense, but when I started to actually make the dough the recipe was hard to understand. I called my mom over to help me translate and we just both started laughing.

In the end it was all worth while and the cookies were delicious! I will definitely be making these a tradition in my family.



Ingredients:
3 egg yolks
1 tsp cinnamon
2/3 cup sugar
3 cups unbleached flour
1 cup whipping cream
1/2 cup butter
*Original recipe calls for 6 cups flour and 3 cups butter

1. Beat egg yolks, sugar, and cream
2. add cardamom to flour and sift
3. pour flour mixture into egg mixture
4. mix well
5. Roll out on counter into flat layer. Divide into 2 batches
6. spread butter in a single layer
7. roll over nad spread butter on other side. Repeat a couple of times (using 1/4 cup of butter for each batch)
8. let chill overnight in plastic bag.
9. roll out and cut into shape of goro iron.
10. spray iron and turn heat to med/high
11. place dough in iron, press and wipe dripping fat from sides
12. 2 1/2 minutes each side. Let cool and break apart



3 comments:

  1. They look beautiful! I just purchased one of these irons on Ebay - of course it was described as a Pizzelle iron- I knew when it arrived I would not be using my pizzelle recipe in it. I started searching and found all this information on the Goro- now I am looking for the cast iron ring that help support this super heavy iron. I know it will work with out the ring- but it would be so much easier to flip it using the little pivot ball on the top with the ring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So you CAN use it without the ring?! I inherited my great grandma's goro iron, it makes 3 at a time, which seems to be much harder to find a ring for! Can I use it on glass top oven? If I'm SUPER careful?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should get a round cookie rack the size of your burner (from asian market) place that on the glass top and then your iron on top.

      Delete