Pages

Thursday, March 14, 2013

Chocolate Sugar Kookis

This spring break has been a solid week of baking and cooking, which I am totally okay with. I know you are probably thinking that I spelt the word "cookies" wrong, but actually after looking in my great-grandmother's cook book last night I learned that kookis is the Norwegian translation for cookies. In my own personal opinion I think that I resemble my great-grandmother Gustava. I think that I kind of look like her and I know that I have the same passion for baking that she did. I have a feeling that her cookbook was meant for me and that she wanted me to have it. With that being said, I want to recreate all of her signature baked goods and share them with my family. I guess you can say I am kind of obsessed with my family history.

These Chocolate sugar cookies are not Norwegian, but I have had my eyes on the recipe for quite some time now and thought that now would be the perfect time to try them out. Needless to say they were classically delicious and I could see myself making these around Christmas time. In the future I might even frost them and decorate them just like I would with regular sugar cookies.



Ingredients
  • 1/3 cup sugar 
  • 1 1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp all purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup unsweetened coco powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 14 tbsp unsalted butter
  • 1 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 tbsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 large egg plus 1 egg yolk
  1. place sugar in a shallow bowl and set aside
  2. combine the wet ingredients in a bowl
  3. combine the dry ingredients in a sep bowl
  4. slowly add the dry to the wet and mix until just combined
  5. turn the oven to 350
  6. using 2 tbsp of cookie dough, roll the dough into balls
  7. roll the ball in the gran sugar until covered
  8. place on baking sheet and use the bottom of a glass to flatten the cookie
  9. sprinkle some more granulated sugar on the tops of the cookies
  10. bake for 15 minutes at 350 until done.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment